Every pool player has had that moment where they needed to make a clutch shot, they line up their cue stick with the billiard balls in perfect position, their friend taunts them or gets inside their head, and then they miss it. Here are some tips on how to make the best pool shot under pressure, because billiards is such a mental game.
- Breathe. An important part of being calm is breathing, and oftentimes we don’t realize it and hold our breath when we concentrate. You need to take a step back when lining up you shot and take a few deep breaths to help you focus.
- Imagine a line. When you are setting up your shot you need to imagine a line from the billiard cue to the cue ball to the point you need to hit. You also need to anticipate your next shot so you can determine how much spin to put on the ball.
- Take your time and be able to block those around you out.
- Practice. Pool requires skill and the more you practice the better you get.
- Make sure you have the right billiard supplies to make sure you can play the best game possible. From brand name pool cues and pool cue cases to chalk and a bridge, if you have the best billiard supplies you’ll undoubtedly play a better overall game.
- Remember that it’s okay to mess up. If you don’t make a shot then there is no reason to get upset, because the more upset you get the worse your game becomes.
- Many people consider pool a game of mathematical skills, and it wouldn’t hurt to take lessons so when you do not know what to do you can break out your bank of geometry knowledge and help set up your shots.
- Don’t be afraid to play someone at a higher skill level then you. It will help teach you how to make the best shots, while also raising your competitive edge.
- Chalk… use it. Put it on your pool cues and on your hands (if needed).
- Remember that the more you concentrate, the better. The more you lose focus, the less likely it is that you’ll be able to sink those tough shots in the clutch.
There are so many things that you can do to improve your skill level and shots at pool. You can play for fun, join tournaments and leagues, and create your own billiards room at home. Many people think leagues are just for people who are at a high skill level, but this is far from the truth. Pool leagues use people of all skill levels because they get handicaps on the people who are beginners or just learning. For more pool tips and informational guides, follow the QStix Billiards Blog. Cheers!